Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Family: Fear and Relief...

Today was a scary day for me. Today was my appointment for my FIRST mammogram. It wasn't a routine appointment where it was just a good idea to get checked... I had an appointment because I found a lump a couple of months ago and I NEEDED to get it checked out. So I went to my doctor, she examined it and came to the conclusion that "It doesn't feel like cancer... (*phew*) but we'll schedule you for an ultrasound and perhaps a mammogram..." 

Mammogram... I had never had one before. I had heard stories. I had scary images in my head. My mind and imagination were becoming my worst enemy... 

Since my doctor was confidant that it was nothing to worry about she told me that I would get a call some time after New Years. And that I was to NOT worry about it. So I tried not to worry. I immersed myself in my knitting. So... Much... Knitting! Then Christmas came and so chaos ensued. And Christmas and New Years flashed by in the blink of an eye.

Then, four days into the 2013, I got the call to schedule my ultrasound & mammogram... And so my worries came back. I wasn't as scared at first. But as the day grew nearer I started getting more and more anxious.

Then now here it was... the day of my examination. 

I followed their pre-appointment instructions (no deodorant, lotion, talcum powder, perfume etc...) I dropped off my son at my sister-in-law's house and then drove to the hospital.

Thankfully I didn't have to wait long (hospital waiting rooms are not my favourite.) Then my name was called and I was greeted by the most wonderfully cheerful person I ever met. She was an absolute sweetheart. Her name was Lisa... and I will never forget her as long as I live. She eased all my worries and she made me feel like I was allowed to be scared and that she would be there for me. She talked me through the appointment, was gentle and attentive. She was such a phenomenal lady. We took our time. I was in tears a couple of time and then we hugged like three times throughout the appointment.

So then after everything was done, she smiled at me, she gave me my news and sent me on my way... 

I have no reason to fear these exams anymore. It was NOT as scary as my mind had made it up to be (lousy brain) especially knowing that whatever the outcome I knew I would be surrounded by comfort and compassion.

Thank you Lisa!

*hugs forever*

No comments:

Post a Comment